Monday, November 4, 2013

I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know..I know…

Bill Withers

We sincerely appreciate your understanding regarding the lack of posts to this blog.  We want everyone to know my ghost writer has escaped unharmed from the domestic terrorist group.  He or she (in no way does this imply my ghost writer has gender identity issues) was kidnapped during a bus tour of the Bakken Formation oil fields near Williston, ND.  His/her escape was facilitated by his/her captors leaving a door unlocked while they were attending a pro-abortion, anti- high capacity magazine, pro-amnesty, anti-Keystone XL pipeline, save the wolves, students for the legalization of marijuana, great hot springs of the west, free education for all, any drone will do, free Doritos for life (splinter group of the students for legalization of marijuana), Norsten for MOMA, save the whales (not to be confused with Mrs. Hussein’s Let’s Move initiative, Occupy Williston, workers of the world unite, love that healthcare.gov, protect women’s reproductive rights in third world countries, global warming, day against police brutality, PETA, actions against globalization, international day of farmers’ struggles, international media democracy day, pro Saudi women’s drivers’ education, and eat more chicken day rally.

Thank God he/she is safe.

Summer 2013

This summer on the Grey Reef was the most consistent fly fishing in my ten years of guiding for the North Platte Lodge. Fifty fish to the net days were common place and there were numerous seventy five to one hundred fish days as well. Lots of 20+ inch rainbows. In fact there were many more days of 20+ than without.  Late summer into the fall the big Brown Trout made an appearance. 25+ inch fish were a weekly occurrence.  It was the best of times.

Even JJ can catch 'em
Grey Reef Rainbow

Waterfowl

Waterfowl in North America continue to be near 25 year highs. This year’s fall flight forecast is only slightly below last year’s record count of 48 million birds. Now we need Mother Nature to cooperate and give us a more normal transition from fall into winter.  A steady migration should give WyoBraska Waterfowl another stellar season.

I observed the first signs of the migration in the last week. Sand Hill cranes and snow geese are doing their high altitude fly overs. The early migrators blue wing teal, pintails, gadwall and shovelers have been frequenting the Henry Lake during October.  This week the visitors are green wing teal, wigeon and mallards. While working on the pit at the lake Saturday evening, we had a flock of 200 lesser Canada geese stop for the night.  The migration has begun!

The past two weeks have been spent preparing the river and lake blinds for the season.  The goose pits will be readied the middle of this month.

River Blind
It is going to be a very busy season.  I have hunters every day starting November 6th through February 10th with the exception of December 23, 24 and Christmas Day.  I am gratified by the support of my clients but I am looking forward to those three days!


Thinking the pro marijuana issue may have had something to do with the unlocked door.

No comments:

Post a Comment